Friday, June 1, 2012

Cajun Mac-n-Cheese



Noodles were the theme for this Taste of Home Cooking Recipe Swap. The recipe I was given was for Cajun Mac-N-Cheese and came from the blog Tales from the Mad Men Kitchen.

I LOVE mac-n-cheese and usually go to this recipe when making it. It is super easy, very creamy, and freezes well so I make big batches every time I make it.

The Cajun Mac-N-Cheese recipe was a bit different, containing chunks of peppers and andouille sausage. I'm a purist when it comes to mac-n-cheese, but I also love trying new things and new recipes, so I was excited to try this, especially because it seemed like it would be spicy. 


Unfortunately I wasn't a big fan of this - I really wanted to like it, but it didn't do it for us. Even with all of the Cajun seasoning I used, the overall flavor was a bit flat. Here is the recipe I followed -  

Ingredients
  • Kosher salt
  • 12 ounces wagon-wheel pasta
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6 ounces andouille sausage, diced
  • 2 bunches scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 bell pepper (red or green), chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun spice blend
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes

Directions

  • Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 1 minute less than the label directs. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta.
  • Meanwhile, combine the olive oil and sausage in a large skillet over high heat and cook, stirring, until the sausage starts to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the scallions and bell pepper and cook until the vegetables are slightly soft, about 3 more minutes. Add the Cajun spice and flour and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and continue whisking until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 5 more minutes.
  • Add the pasta, cheese and reserved cooking water to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, tossing to coat the pasta in the sauce and melt the cheese, about 1 minute.

Print this post

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you were disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this sounds delicious!! Cajun-inspired mac 'n' cheese...sign me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bummer! I'm sorry this was a disappointment. I've had my eye on it for a long time and really want to make it.

    Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps.

    ReplyDelete