My adaptation of the recipe is below. For the original recipe using muffin tins, see the link above.
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 c light cream
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 lb deli-sliced American cheese, chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425; grease a baking dish with 1/2 tbsp of the butter
- Cook macaroni; set aside
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of butter in a pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour and continue to whisk until you have a nice roux.
- Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the American and cheddar cheeses. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Mix in the egg yolk
- Pour the cooked macaroni into the sauce and toss until coated. Transfer the macaroni mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until sizzling.
The American cheese may not be the fanciest cheese around, but it is what made this dish so creamy and delicious. And talk about easy - this took about 10 minutes to prep. I usually put chopped onions in my mac-n-cheese, and thought I'd miss them, but I didn't. I will still make other, fancier versions of mac-n-cheese, but this is my new go-to recipe.Print this post