Several weeks ago our friend Jeff made us this Grilled Ciabbata Bread Salad. It was absolutely delicious and I can't wait to make it again, but it was cold and windy last night so I didn't feel like grilling the bread! Also, we were having my friend Lary's mac n'cheese so I didn't think we'd need bread in our salad!
I took a few ideas from Jeff's salad (inspired by a Bobby Flay recipe, see original post) and whipped together this simple, healthy, and delicious salad.
- 1 sm red onion, sliced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 c good olive oil
- 2-3 c fresh spinach
- 1 c chopped tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar, approximately 3 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Place sliced onions and cilantro in a bowl with the olive oil. Let sit in the fridge while you prepare the other ingredients, or for 30 minutes.
- When ready to eat, mix spinach and tomatoes with the onion mixture.
- Add balsamic vinegar, and add more oil if needed. Toss well.
- Season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese.
As I said before when Jeff made his salad, I didn't expect cilantro to work in this type of salad, but it really does! It's adds a nice, fresh flavor. This salad was very light and refreshing, but full of flavor.
Print this post