Our friend Jeff came to visit for the weekend. He loves to cook, so we planned on cooking all day Saturday.
First, we made a big bowl of my pico de gallo - what a treat in January!!
My corn chowder with jalapeno cream was for lunch - a quick and easy soup.
For dinner we had grilled filet mignon with caramelized onion and spinach risotto.
Jeff made a great salad that we enjoyed with dinner - Grilled Ciabatta Bread Salad. He found the original recipe, a Bobby Flay recipe, on the Food Network web site. It's no longer listed on this site, but this recipe is an adaptation of the original.
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread
- 3 c fresh spinach
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 c blue cheese, crumbled (original recipe calls for feta)
- 1 c good olive oil
- 1/2 c balsamic vinegar
- Salt, Pepper, and Oregano to taste
- Slice onions, chop cilantro, and let bathe in 1/2 c olive oil in the fridge while grilling the bread
- Slice bread into two long halves; spray with cooking spray and grill until charred. Jeff says to grill it as dark as you can take it!
- Chop the bread into 1 inch pieces and add to onions and cilantro with another 1/2 c olive oil. Chill at least one-half hour.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, cheese. Toss with balsamic (start slowly, add to taste) and salt/pepper/oregano to taste.
- Serve immediately
Thanks Jeff!! Hope to see you again soon :)
Print this post