Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Italian Orzo Spinach Soup with Fire Roasted Tomatoes


This recipe had me at "fire roasted tomatoes."

I love using these tomatoes for the extra smokiness they add. I always splurge when buying these tomatoes, too, choosing only Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes. In my store the Muir Glen are almost double the price of the non-organic brands, but it is so worth it in my opinion. Plus it's not something I do that often, and when I think about the fact that this soup was my lunch for 4 days, the cost per lunch is lower than buying a sandwich.

My other favorite thing about this soup was the mixture of herbs, especially rosemary. My husband doesn't like rosemary so I never get to use it, but this soup was just for my lunches so rosemary it was.

The original recipe that I followed called for whole wheat orzo and while I looked in a few stores, I had no luck in finding it. I want to keep my eyes open though and hopefully use WW next time. I used less orzo than the original recipe called for so my soup wouldn't be too thick.

Italian Orzo Spinach Soup with Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Adapted from: Gimme Some Oven

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 sm white onion, diced
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 14 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 3/4 cups orzo 
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
  • 4 cups loosely-packed spinach
  • Salt and black pepper

Directions


  • Heat oil in a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium-high heat.
  • Add onion and saute for 4 minutes, until soft
  • Add carrots, celery and garlic and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
  • Add stock, tomatoes, orzo, thyme, oregano, and rosemary; stir to combine.
  • Bring soup to a simmer, and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through. 
  • Stir in the spinach until just wilted. 
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste. 



Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment