Thursday, July 24, 2014

Summer Tortellini



I really wish I had a green thumb. I dream of having a large vegetable garden in our yard where I could grown all of our produce and be totally self sufficient in the summer... I just can't see it happening. I don't really enjoy working in the garden (heck, I barely remember to water my potted flowers on the front step) but I want the benefits of having a garden at home. Like I have said for the past 10 years, maybe next year...

Even though I don't have a big vegetable garden, I always grow tomatoes. This year I just have one pot of tomatoes and a pot of basil growing on my patio. The tomato plant doesn't look all that great but the tomatoes I have gotten from it have been so sweet and juicy. Two of those tomatoes inspired this summer tortellini dish.

When I posted the picture of this dinner on Instagram I used the hashtag #tasteslikesummer. Sweet and juicy tomatoes paired with basil are a classic summer combination - don't you agree? It's one of my favorite things about summer so I hope my little potted tomato plant keeps on giving me perfect tomatoes!

Summer Tortellini

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 c vegetable broth
  • 6 leaves of basil, roughly chopped
  • 8 oz cooked cheese tortellini
  • A few handfuls of fresh baby spinach
  • Salt and pepper
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • Optional: crumbled ricotta salata
Directions
  • Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat
  • Add the garlic and tomatoes; sauté for about 4 minutes
  • Season lightly with salt and pepper, add a little more than half of the basil and add the broth. Let simmer for a few minutes (this is the perfect time to cook your tortellini)
  • Once the tortellini has cooked, remove it from the water with a slotted spoon and transfer it to the sauté pan.
  • Add the spinach and toss everything to wilt the spinach.
  • Add the Parmesan cheese and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
  • Serve garnished with some basil and ricotta salata, if desired.



Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment