Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Take-Me-Back-To-Childhood Breaded Pork Chops



Happy New Year! After taking a break from blogging over the holidays, I'm back and ready to share a lot of great recipes with you.

A few weeks before Christmas, my friend, the author of the blog A Taste of Home Cooking, mentioned that she was making breaded pork chops for dinner and I was immediately taken back to childhood. I had visions of sitting at the round kitchen table at the end of our galley kitchen doing homework and talking to my mom while she breaded and fried pork chops. I have a lot of memories of doing homework in the kitchen while my mom cooked. We always had so much fun working together to make up sentences using my spelling words. Isn't it funny the things that stick out in your mind?

Anyway, my mom made great breaded pork chops and I can't believe I never made these before. I didn't follow a recipe, but just seasoned, breaded, and fried them. They cooked up so quickly, were perfectly crispy, and we devoured four of them between three people. I served them with a Spinach Risotto, very similar to this Spinach-Shiitake Risotto, just without the mushrooms. I'll have to write up my spinach risotto recipe soon!

Breaded Pork Chops

Ingredients
  • 4 thin pork chops
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Italian seasoning
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
I don't measure when I'm seasoning, so I did not list amounts above. I lightly seasoned the chops with salt, pepper, and touch of garlic powder, and then generously seasoned the bread crumbs with garlic powder, pepper, and a touch of Italian seasoning and salt.

Directions
  • Season your pork chops
  • Prepare the breading station - flour in the first bowl, beaten egg in the next, and bread crumbs in the next
  • Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat
  • Dredge pork chops in the flour, then dip in the egg, and then coat with bread crumbs.
  • Add to the pan and cook until golden brown on one side (about 2-3 minutes); flip and cook until golden brown on the other side (about 2-3 minutes). At this point they should be done, but you can always check with a meat thermometer (160 degrees).


Print this post

3 comments:

  1. Breaded pork chops are a huge hit in my house too. Those look amazing.

    I really love how food can evoke so many childhood memories!

    Like visiting an old friend, almost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up eating Shake n Bake style pork chops. It was one of my favorite dinners as a kid. I'll have to try your version soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum :)
    So funny that you have never made these! I made them a lot in college and the few years after. I like to dredge them in Parmesan before dipping in the egg. I also put my seasoning in the bread crumbs and just stick to salt and pepper on the meat. So good with a bit of red pepper flakes in the bread crumbs!

    ReplyDelete