Tuesday, September 17, 2013

White Bean and Spinach Soup with Brown Rice





The weather is turning cooler, the sun is setting earlier, kids are back to school, and football season has started - I think it's time to start making soup!

I make soup every Sunday and once it cools, I immediately dish it into 5 single serving containers. Lunches for the week - done! Over the past few years I have made close to 50 different soup recipes. I have a few favorites that I go back too quite often, but I also am always in search of a new recipe. I have several recipes pinned to my Food board on Pinterest, including this one that I tried last weekend - Savory Bean and Spinach Soup.

The recipe was from Fitness Magazine, and was written as a slow-cooker recipe. I'm not a fan of making soup, or much of anything really, in a slow cooker. I like to build the flavors in a soup, and feel you can only do that with stove top cooking, so I took this recipe and turned it into a stove top recipe.

Even though I cooked this in a pot, it still only took just under an hour. Most of that time was the soup simmering as the rice cooked; active time was about 20 minutes.

This soup was so hearty and filling, yet healthy. Normally I eat a sandwich along with soup for lunch, but I didn't need the sandwich after eating all the beans and rice. I ate it for 5 days in a row and never tired of it, and think this will be one that I will make again soon.


White Bean and Spinach Soup with Brown Rice
Adapted from: Fitness Magazine
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 sm yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped  
  • 1 15-ounce can small white beans or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed  
  • 3-4 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
  • Pinch of dried thyme
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice   
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper  
  • 1 sm bag of fresh baby spinach, chopped
 Directions
  • Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat
  • Add the onion and garlic, sauté 2-3 minutes
  • Add the beans, basil, and thyme, stir
  • Add the broth and tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper; let simmer for 10 minutes
  • Add the rice, cover and reduce heat to medium. Let simmer for 30 minutes, or until the rice has cooked through
  • Add the spinach and stir until wilted
  • Optional: the original recipe noted adding Parmesan cheese at the end, but I didn't feel it was necessary.
 
 

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment