Friday, October 5, 2012

Greek Scramble


It's Recipe Swap time again! Breakfast was the theme of this Taste of Home Cooking recipe swap. I submitted my Banana Stuffed French Toast recipe, and was given a recipe for Greek Scramble with Lemony Hollandaise Sauce from the Ashley, the author of the blog Cheese Curd in Paradise.


I was intrigued by the hollandaise sauce because I have had it - love it with steak or asparagus - but I have never made it. Ashley made a quick hollandaise sauce when she made this recipe since she didn't have time to make it the traditional way. Since I have never made this sauce before, I did some reading on how to make it the traditional way and added a few steps to Ashley's quick recipe (this still isn't the completely traditional method of using a double boiler and clarified butter, but it was good for my first time). My friend Jenny was here and she actually did the stirring for me since I was taking care of the eggs, bacon, and potato pancakes all at the same time! But it did look very easy - you just need to stay on top of it so your eggs don't start to scramble!

I love spinach and tomatoes in an omelet - that's what I always order when we go out for breakfast - so I loved the scrambled part of this recipe. The hollandaise sauce was good, and I'd make it again to serve with steak or veggies, but not with eggs. Just a personal preference, that's all! Thanks for a great recipe, Ashley!

The Hollandaise
  •  4 egg yolks
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 3 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Pinch of cayenne.
Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan over very low heat (I used the lowest setting on my precise simmer burner). Beat the egg yolks and mix in the lemon juice and cayenne. Add the egg yolk mixture to the pan and gently stir until bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Keep stirring, adding 1 tbsp of butter at a time until all of the butter has been used. Serve over the eggs immediately.

Ingredients
  • 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
  • 1/4 cup diced fresh tomatoes
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 8 eggs
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • Salt and white pepper (you can use black too)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (plus a little extra for garnish)

Directions
  • In a medium bowl beat eggs with milk, salt and pepper. 
  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  • Saute spinach till wilted and add tomatoes.
  • Add eggs and pull in sides till as they set. Before the eggs are finished, stir in the feta cheese. Finish scrambling the eggs.
  • Plate and top with hollandaise sauce and a little extra feta.


Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment