Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Grilled Chinese Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing




I've never been a big salad-as-a-meal person, but over the past few months have been turning to grilled chicken and different salads when I'm in the mood to eat something on the lighter side.

Recently I made this Grilled Chicken over Southwestern Romaine Salad and really loved the chipotle dressing, and it got me looking for other similar recipes. The other night I was craving Asian flavors, so turned to this Chinese Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing recipe I first saw on Pinterest, and on the blog Foodie Crush.

I used the salad recipe as inspiration as I made several changes from what went in the salad, including how I cooked the chicken, adding a marinade to the chicken, and what was in the dressing (so pretty much every part of the recipe!). My adaptation is below.

Jon and I both really, really liked this one and will definitely be making it again soon.

Ingredients
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • For the marinade:
    • 1/4 c olive oil
    • 1 tbsp sesame oil
    • 3 tbsp soy sauce
    • 2 cloves minced garlic
    • 1 tbsp hoison)
    • 1 tsp or more Sriracha sauce for heat
  • For the salad:
    • 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
    • 2 green onions, chopped
    • 1 carrot, julienned
    • Approximately 1/2 c fresh bean sprouts
    • 1 c cooked pasta noodles, cooled - I used Wegman's nuggets; wagon wheels, crushed up ramen noodles, or rotini would also work.
    • Handful of chow mein noodles (or any crunchy fried noodle, or fried wonton wrappers)
  • For the dressing
    • 1 1/2 tbsp light olive oil
    • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
    • 1 tsp sesame oil
    • Pinch or 2 of sugar
    • 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
    • 1/4 tsp sriracha sauce
    • Few dashes each salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
  • Mix the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken; cover and let marinate in the fridge at least 4 hours, or overnight.
  • Heat grill to 400 degrees. Grill chicken approximately 4-5 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Let rest and then slice.
  • Mix the dressing ingredients and chill. Can be made several hours in advance.
  • Toss lettuce, carrots, green onions, bean sprouts, and pasta with the dressing 
  • Top with chow mein noodles and sliced chicken.

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. This looks really tasty! Great flavor combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary Ellen,
    I just found your blog. Everything looks so delicious. I really appreciate the way you are creative and can tweak things for your family's preferences. I'm adding you to my Bloglovin reader.
    Thanks!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete