Friday, July 27, 2012

Recipe Swap: Apple Dumplings


When I am looking through cookbooks and at cooking sites, I rarely see a baking or dessert recipe that I want to make. I'm just not into baking, and I rarely eat dessert. I have a "Sweets" board on Pinterest, but I know I will never bake anything I have pinned... I do plan on sending some of the recipes to my dad, the baker of the family, to make.

However, when I participate in the Taste of Home Cooking Recipe Swaps, I like that they often push me outside my comfort zone. So when I participated in this Blogger's Choice swap, I decided to push myself and choose a dessert recipe.

I was given Kylee's blog, Kylee Cooks. I looked through a lot of her recipes and bookmarked some things I plan on making this winter - good, hearty recipes that will be perfect on a cold day. But for the swap, I chose a recipe for Apple Dumplings. They looked easy, delicious, and although I don't really eat sweets, I do have a weakness for apple desserts. Especially warm and gooey apple desserts which is exactly what this one turned out to be.

Confession - I hate measuring. I have said it before, but after making this recipe, it is confirmed - I hate measuring. And what is sad is that there were only 4 or 5  things to measure! I measured the water, sugar, and butter, but by the time I got to the 4th ingredient - vanilla - I just estimated. I did the same with the cinnamon. Luckily this recipe isn't one that requires you to make dough or crust or I'd be in big trouble. Estimating worked just fine for me.

Back to the recipe... it uses canned biscuit dough which makes it a super easy dessert for those non-bakers like me. It took about 50 minutes from start to finish, and within 5 minutes of taking them out fo the oven, I ate 3 dumplings! They are small but irresistible! And store them in the fridge and just warm them up for 15 seconds in the microwave for breakfast the next day. I will definitely make these again.


Here is the recipe - I made it exactly as Kylee did and wouldn't change a thing.

Ingredients
  • 1 can refrigerated flaky biscuit dough
  • 2 apples - peeled, cored and cut into 8ths
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon mixed with 1/4 cup of sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to around 350 degrees.
  2. Separate the biscuits in the can, and then cut them lengthwise so you have 16 circles of dough.
  3. Wrap each apple slice in one circle of dough. (I had better luck cutting a slit in the flat side and putting the apple wedge in, and then wrapping the dough around it to close it up. Kind of like stuffing a chicken breast when you cut a slit in it).
  4. Put them into a buttered dish.
  5. Put sugar, water, butter and vanilla into a saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved.
  6. Pour over the apple dumplings, and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
  7. Bake for around 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious!! I had a great time perusing your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a few months late... and yay! Glad you liked them.

    I know of a recipe that is similar that uses mountain dew (ew).

    Whenever I make these people want the recipe, and I'm always ashamed to tell them about the canned biscuit dough... lol

    ReplyDelete