Thursday, July 19, 2012

Light Summer Pasta with Tomatoes and Zucchini


The other night I made a Creamy Summer Pasta dish using corn and zucchini my dad picked up at a local farm stand. Tonight I wanted to use the rest of the zucchini, the tomatoes he brought me, as well as the first tomato of the year from my garden.

It was 105 degrees on my drive home this afternoon, so I definitely didn't feel like a heavy cream sauce. I wanted something that highlighted the flavors of the fresh tomatoes, as well as a quick and easy dish since I didn't get to cook until after my daughter went to bed. I came up with this quick and easy recipe.

It was knock-your-socks-off fresh and delicious! I couldn't stop eating it, and am a little mad at myself for not leaving enough to have a nice sized lunch tomorrow, but it was THAT good.

I'll just have to make it again, and I have a lot of tomatoes starting to ripen, so it will be soon!

Ingredients (2 servings)
  • 2 tbsp good olive oil
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 zucchini, halved and then sliced into strips
  • 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped (large bite-sized pieces)
  • 1/4 c low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • Handful of fresh basil, cut into a chiffonade 
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 servings cooked pasta
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (approximately 3 tbsp)
Directions

  • Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat
  • Add onions and garlic; saute 2-3 minutes.
  • Add zucchini; saute 2 minutes.
  • Add tomatoes; saute 1 minute.
  • Add broth, half of the basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Lower to a simmer and let cook for 5-7 minutes (don't let the tomatoes get too mushy - you still want them to maintain their shape).
  • Add pasta and toss. Mix in most of the Parmesan. Serve topped with a bit more Parmesan and basil.

Print this post

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! I love zucchini, and anything with pasta is a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete