Wednesday, July 18, 2012

BLT Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes


I LOVE BLTs. Smoky bacon, juicy red tomatoes, crisp lettuce, and creamy mayonnaise - it might just be my favorite sandwich. So what better than an appetizer than tastes just like a BLT?

I first made these tomatoes about 7 or 8 years ago - I honestly don't even remember where I saw the recipe, but there are a ton out there, I'm sure. I haven't made these in years and didn't follow a recipe this time - I just went based on how I wanted it to taste. Plus, they are pretty simple as far as ingredients go. You'll see from my recipe below that I pulled it together as I went along and my measurements are approximate.

However, I will warn you that preparing the tomatoes takes a while. I made 45 of these and it took close to an hour. Cutting the tomatoes and scooping out the insides and then filling each one requires some patience. It's not hard work, but it's small and delicate work, if that makes sense. I had to use a 1/4 teaspoon to scoop out the insides of the tomatoes, being very careful not to rip them.

Ingredients (for 45)
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Approximately 5 tbsp mayonnaise (I only use Hellman's!)
  • 4-5 pieces of cooked, crumbled bacon or a few spoonfuls of Real Bacon Bits
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • Black pepper to taste
Directions
  • Cut the tops off the tomatoes and carefully scoop out the insides
  • Mix the mayonnaise, bacon, and green onions
  • Spoon the mayo mixture into the tomatoes. Chill an hour before serving.

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. I love little bites like this and the flavor combination must make all the work worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I love BLTs and these are adorable!

    ReplyDelete