Friday, June 1, 2012

Caprese Pasta Salad


Caprese Salad is one of my favorite things - there's nothing like a red, juicy tomato and some creamy, milky, fresh mozzarella. Top it off with some good olive oil, cracked black pepper, and the summery taste of basil and I'm in heaven. 

On Memorial Day I had planned on making a BLT pasta salad, but it was so hot that I really couldn't picture eating something using bacon grease and mayo. As I was thinking about it, I happened to look at my basil plant outside and I knew I had to use it. So I came up with this simple Caprese Pasta Salad.

Ingredients
  • 8 oz pasta - I used Rotini
  • 4 oz mozzarella, cubed
  • 1/4 c good olive oil
  • 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp mayonnaise (to keep the oil and vinegar from separating)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
  • Fresh basil cut into a chiffonade; I used about 8 large basil leaves
Directions
  • Cook pasta; drain, rinse, and set aside or chill
  • Whisk together the oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper
  • Toss pasta, tomatoes, cheese, basil, and dressing. Adjust salt and pepper, if necessary.
The one thing to note about this salad is that the tomatoes don't last long in the dressing once it is chopped, so you only want to make enough for one day (I still ate leftovers the next day, but wouldn't serve it to guests). But it is so worth it to make it - it's like summer flavors bursting in your mouth!!

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make something like this for awhile now. This looks great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is definitely a caprese boom going on!! Perfect for the summer heat!

    ReplyDelete