Saturday, May 26, 2012

Grilled Broccoli with Chipotle-Lime Butter


I made my meal plans for the weekend and told Jon (the grill master) that we were going to grill broccoli. His response? "So that means I'm taking my grill apart on Sunday to get all of the broccoli bits out of it?" Ok, so I was a little skeptical too, and Jon had every right to be skeptical. After all, this is coming from the woman who had him grill radishes 2 years ago (major fail!). So although it sounds a little odd, I knew we had to try it when I came across this recipe on the blog Confections of a Foodie Bride.  

We are both so, so glad we did. We love roasted broccoli, especially when it gets a little charred, and grilling it was even better. It was crisp, charred, and kept so much of the broccoli flavor. And the chipotle-lime butter I put over it before serving was just heavenly... so heavenly that I even put it over my roasted potatoes, and think it would be great on baked potatoes.


I made one change to the original recipe, and that is only because I was doing it from memory - I didn't have the recipe in front of me when making the butter. I omitted the honey, but actually, I am glad I did. The butter was just perfect without it. To see the original recipe, check out the above link to Shawnda's blog, Confections of a Foodie Bride.



The Butter
  • 6 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Zest and juice of 1 lime
  • 1 canned chipotle pepper, chopped
  • 1 tsp adobo sauce from the can of chipotle peppers
Mix everything together. Chill until ready to use.

The Broccoli
  • 1 large head of broccoli cut into large florets (tip - keep one side flat when cutting - it will make it easier to grill)
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • Optional: crumbled fresh cheese; I used ricotta salata. The original recipe calls for queso fresco but my store did not have it in stock.
Toss the broccoli with olive oil and salt. Grill for about 8 minutes, flipping once at 4 minutes. Top with a few spoons of butter and crumble cheese over it. ENJOY!

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment