Monday, August 22, 2011

Toddler Friendly: Turkey Meatloaf


Jon makes a kick ass meatloaf, and I can't wait until he makes it this fall. But last week I had some ground turkey that I bought to make some freezer meals for our daughter, so I decided to make a turkey meatloaf.

I read a few recipes, and then decided to just wing it. The one thing I did see a lot of was the use of quick cooking oats as a binding agent instead of breadcrumbs, so I incorporated that into my recipe. And of course I topped it with ketchup - kids seem to love things covered in ketchup.

I made a loaf, but you could also make this in muffin tins. You could even add mashed potato "frosting" for a fun meal.
You could also add some grated veggies to the loaf if your child needs to get more veggies in their diet.

This is another meal that can be made, sliced, and frozen into individual portions. When I was ready to serve it, I defrosted a slice in the fridge for a few hours, and then put it in the microwave on defrost for 30-60 seconds. Perfect.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 lb ground turkey
  • 1/4 c quick cooking oats mixed with 1 tbsp milk
  • 1-2 tbsp marinara sauce
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 sm onion, finely diced
  • Ketchup
  • 1/2 egg
Directions
  • Mix everything together and form into a loaf (add the marinara slowly, depending on how wet or dry your mixture is).
  • Top with ketchup
  • Put in a baking dish, fill the dish with about 1/2 inch of water.
  • Bake on 400 degrees approximately 45-50 minutes until fully cooked (use a meat thermometer to be sure - poultry should be cooked to at least 165 degrees.

She had this tonight and devoured almost everything on her plate - success!

Print this post

1 comment:

  1. I am turkey meatloaf for my toddler and it is always a hit. Sometimes I add a tomato sauce....because he seems to like food better the messier it is! :-)

    ReplyDelete