Saturday, August 6, 2011

Spiced Beef Stir Fry with Scallions and Cilantro

The other day I bought a few sirloin steaks and planned on slicing them into thin strips for stir fry, but didn't want to do my usual Beef with Broccoli or something similar to that. I had cilantro to use up, and kept thinking about the amazing dinner we recently enjoyed at Buddakan, so I started to look for ideas using spices, cilantro, and the beef.

I found this one for Spiced Beef Stir Fry with Scallions and Cilantro. It fit all my requirements and looked great, and ended up being the quickest dinner I have made in months - maybe 5-6 minutes of cooking time! And since the rice takes 20-25 minutes to cook, you can easily do all of your prep during that time.

We both loved this one so much that I will be making it often. One change - next time I plan on squeezing a bit of lime juice over the top once it finished cooking.

Ingredients

  • 14 oz filet of beef (I used 1lb sirloin steak)
  • 2 tbsp peanut oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1 tsp rice wine or dry sherry (I used mirin)
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 oz cilantro, roughly chopped (I just pulled off a large handful)
  • 1 scallion, finely chopped
  • For the spicy coating: 2 tbsp ground cumin, 2 tbsp dried chili pepper flakes, 1 tbsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp sea salt; I added approximately 1 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Directions (In my own words)
  • Slice the beef wafer thin
  • Mix the ingredients for the spicy coating; mix the beef into this mixture.
  • Heat a wok or large saute pan over high heat; add the oil.
  • Add the beef and stir-fry for less than a minute until browned and tender. Add the rice wine and soy sauce.
  • Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and scallions. Serve immediately.


The meat was so amazingly tender and flavorful - we both had 2 plates of this! Delicious!

Print this post

1 comment:

  1. This was super yum! It is definitely a keeper in our household and can't wait to try it using chicken. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete