Monday, August 22, 2011

Delicious One Pot Chicken and Rice


I know, that isn't a very creative title. I was, however, pretty creative when I was cooking - I made this one up as I went along. But after cooking, feeding the baby, tag-teaming with Jon to keep her occupied (these days that is doing laps with her around the house, over and over and over, as she learns to walk - back-breaking!!!), cleaning up, and getting her to bed, I'm not feeling all that creative. I just want to get my recipe down on "paper" so I don't forget what I did, because this one was really good!

We had planned on grilling, but Jon was still busy with work and I was busy with the baby, so one pot cooking worked tonight. She sits in her high chair eating some snacks after her dinner while I cook. And I'm hoping that she's learning something too because I do tell her everything I'm doing. Ok, sometimes I have to sing it, but still, she has to be learning, right?

Ingredients

  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Seasoned with: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder (just eyeball it)
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Handful of mushrooms, whatever you have on hand, chopped
  • Approximately 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
  • 1 c rice
  • 2 c chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp mirin (I think you could probably leave this out if you didn't have it)
  • A few shakes of red pepper flakes
Directions
  • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy skillet or dutch oven
  • Cook chicken 4 min per side; transfer to a plate
  • Add shallots, ginger, and garlic to pan; saute 2 min. Add mushrooms, saute 2 min. Add rice, stir 1-2 min. Add broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, and bring to a boil.
  • Return chicken to the pan, nestling it into the rice. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook about 15 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed.
That's it for this delicious one pot chicken!

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment