Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Tofu with Green Beans

A few weeks ago I had fish on the menu for Jon which means tofu for me. I asked him to pick up a veg at the market, and he came home with string beans, something I don't normally associate with tofu. That is, until I came across this recipe... I think it's my new favorite tofu recipe. I found a recipe for Oriental Green Beans and Tofu, and changed it up a bit, calling it Sweet and Spicy Tofu with Green Beans. See the link above for the original recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 block of tofu, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp hoisin
  • 1.5 tbsp brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp dry cooking sherry
  • 2 tsp chili garlic paste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Large handful of fresh green beans, trimmed into 1-2 inch pieces
  • 1/2 small onion, sliced (same length as green beans)
  • 1/2 can water chestnuts, sliced (similar to the onions and green beans - I like everything cut the same way - cooks better, nicer to eat, and is pleasing to the eye)
  • 1/2 c chicken or vegetable broth (I always use low-sodium broth)

Directions

  • Heat olive oil and sesame oil in a large saute pan or wok
  • Add tofu; cook until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
  • Add a touch more olive oil to the pan.
  • Add garlic and onions, saute 1-2 minutes.
  • Add water chestnuts and green beans, saute 1-2 minutes.
  • Mix hoisin, brown sugar, soy sauce, sherry, chili garlic paste, and broth. Add to the pan and bring to a simmer.
  • Return tofu to the pan; let cook a few minutes. Reduce heat and let simmer if you want the sauce to thicken.
  • Serve over rice or noodles.

Delicious way to enjoy tofu, and to incorporate a veggie I wouldn't normally have enjoyed with tofu! A touch sweet with a nice, spicy kick - just the way I like it.

Print this post

4 comments:

  1. Mary Ellen - hello there! Great tofu recipe, yet again! You are one of the few people I know who uses and loves tofu - so inspiring. I may just have to start bloggin some recipes about tofu too! I've been meaning to do a post about a low-fat and vegan tofu dessert I make. How are you? How's life w/baby? Ready for the Phillies and the Fab 4 plus Joe Blanton? Hey, I also wanted you to know about a network of women bloggers I've linked with - The Blogstress Network. We'd love for you to join us www.theblogstressnetwork.com Hope to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denine! I love tofu! I'd love to see a tofu dessert - please blog about it! I am so excited about the Phillies. We are headed to Clearwater in a month to see a game - my daughter's first Phillies game! How are you? How is your little one? I'll check out the network - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, looks good! Although I think I might have to sub chicken. Not sure I can get my husband on board with tofu ;)

    Oh, and do you mind if I may a blog critique? NOT ENOUGH PICS OF AVERY!!! :)

    Hope you're all well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MJ - I think chicken would be great in this dish! Good idea :) All my pics of Avery are on FB! Find me there! I'm friends with some other WCers, so I should be pretty easy to find (I couldn't find you).

    ReplyDelete