Barley is a wonderful grain as it is packed with fiber (so it fills you up), is low in fat, and is cholesterol free. But alone it's a little boring, in my opinion.
I came across a recipe for Barley Mushroom Pilaf on Barleyfoods.org. Looked interesting, but I'm not a fan of rosemary so I changed it a bit. See the link above for the original recipe.
- 6 dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated in a small amount of boiling water (4 minutes) then chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 c pearl barley
- 3 c chicken or vegetable broth (I used 2.5 c low chicken broth, and .5 c of the water after rehydrating the mushrooms
- 2 chopped green onions
- 2 pinches dried thyme
- Pinch of salt; freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan
- Add rehydrated mushrooms, saute 2-3 minutes
- Add green mushrooms, barley, salt, pepper, and thyme. Stir until everything is nicely mixed and coated.
- Add broth and water; reduce heat to low, cover, simmer for 45 minutes (mine was done in about 35)
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
This is a very earthy, delicious, and filling side dish -I'll be making this one again!Print this post