Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Balsamic-Dijon Chicken with Mushrooms

I think it's funny when I look at my blog and see that I have 90 chicken recipes. 90? Poor Jon - he's not the biggest chicken fan, but I keep surprising him with new recipes, and he keeps eating them.

Before I got into cooking several years ago, I never would have thought I could make chicken 90 different ways. But now that I have, I love how versatile it is, and keep looking for new inspiration and recipes. You can use chicken in so many different ways, so many different cuisines, and with so many different ingredients. And the recipes are usually pretty quick and easy, even with a nice sauce and good flavor. Chicken doesn't have to be boring!!

That's why chicken ends up on my menu at least once, sometimes two times, a week. Several weeks ago, I came across
this recipe for Balsamic Chicken and Mushrooms. I made very minor changes, and thought the Dijon taste was pretty strong (in a good way), so renamed it Balsamic-Dijon Chicken with Mushrooms.



Ingredients (I used 2 breasts so I cut the recipe below in half)

  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (I used 2)
  • 4 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 cups small mushrooms, quartered (I used crimini mushrooms)
  • 1/3 c chicken broth
  • 1/3 c white wine
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves

Directions (written in my own words)

  • Heat half of the oil in a saute pan
  • Mix 2 tbsp of the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, and garlic in a bowl.
  • Season chicken with salt and pepper, then pour the balsamic-Dijon mixture onto the chicken, coating both sides.
  • Add the chicken to the pan, and saute until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
  • Add the remaining oil to the pan.
  • Add the mushrooms and thyme; saute for 1-2 minutes
  • Add the wine; stir, scraping up any brown bits. Add the broth and the rest of the balsamic. Bring to a simmer. Adjust seasonings.
  • Return chicken to the pan and let simmer another minute.

We both liked this - nice earthy flavors and super easy.



Print this post

1 comment:

  1. I was inspired to make this recipe for our dinner tonight. thanks for sharing recettes truffes noires

    ReplyDelete