Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chicken-Parsnip Soup

Sunday used to be my day to spend in the kitchen, and I would always make a soup. I'm trying to get back to that, at least the soup part, anyway.

I stumbled across
this recipe for Chicken-Parsnip Soup when browsing the Cooking Light web site. I liked that it was a different, non-traditional chicken soup, and using garbanzo beans was interesting to me. The result - one of my new favorite soups! Flavorful, light, but filling at the same time.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 parsnips, thinly and diagonally sliced
  • 2 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 4 oz gourmet mushrooms (I used about 5 white mushrooms, sliced - I think the flavor of porcini or shiitake mushrooms would be too heavy for this soup)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2.5 cups fat free, lower sodium chicken broth (I used 4 cups low sodium and omitted the water)
  • 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 c shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast (I didn't do this; instead I seasoned a boneless, skinless chicken breast with a touch of Kosher salt, pepper, and thyme and roasted it until done, then shredded it)
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp hot sauce (I omitted this)
  • 1 thyme sprig (I used a pinch of dried thyme as well as the thyme I used to season the chicken breast)
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Directions

  • Heat oil in a large pot
  • Add shallots, garlic, mushrooms, and parsnips; saute 3 minutes
  • Add broth, chickpeas, chicken, pepper, salt, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes or until parsnips are tender.
  • Remove from heat and stir in parsley.

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds simple and tasty. I'm getting some parsnips from our co-op next week and will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete