Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Scallops Gratin

I am a bit behind on blogging....this dinner is from Valentine's Day.

Jon loves seafood, so whenever I want to make a special meal for him, I always turn to seafood. I chose an Ina Garten
recipe for Bay Scallops Gratin to make for him on Valentine's Day, but with sea scallops. I was feeling a bit under the weather so Jon did all the prep and cleaning up and I did the actual cooking.

I used the gratin topping on chicken so I would feel like I was eating the same meal :) I honestly can't remember what we served with this... I think Jon requested baked potatoes but I don't remember the veggie!! It was probably roasted asparagus or broccoli.

Ingredients (I cut the below recipe in half)

  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 6 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 medium shallots, minced
  • 2 oz thinly sliced Prosciutto di Parma, minced (Jon doesn't like this so I omitted it)
  • 4 tbsp minced fresh parsley, extra for garnish
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp Pernod (used white wine instead)
  • 2 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 tbsp good olive oil
  • 1/2 c panko
  • 6 tbsp dry white wine
  • 2 lbs fresh sea (bay) scallops


  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
  • Place 6 (6-inch) round gratin dishes on a sheet pan Instead, I used a small stainless pan that went directly onto the grates in the oven.
  • To make the topping (note, see original directions if you would like to use a stand mixer. I used a hand mixer instead so the rest of the directions from this point forward are in my own words): Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Start to mix on low and add shallots, garlic, parsley, 1 tbsp white wine, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Still on low, add the olive oil until combined. Fold in the panko with a rubber spatula.

  • Place 1 tbsp wine in the bottom of your pan or each gratin dish. Remove the white muscle and membrane from the scallops, pat dry, and place in the pan.
  • Spoon the mixture over the scallops, spread it evenly over them, and place the pan in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Turn the broiler on for 1-2 minutes at the end if you want the top to be a bit crispy.
  • Squeeze a touch of lemon juice over the dish and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.

Jon really enjoyed this, and I loved the topping on my chicken breast. Great, easy recipe!

Print this post


Lisa said...

I've been wanting to make these for sometime now. Yours look really good!

oak dining table said...

Wow! This is something that I must really try. Never tried this one. Thanks for sharing.