Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mongolian Tofu



Of all the fake-out take-out meals I have made, Mongolian Beef is my favorite. It is sweet and savory and I love the sauce over rice. I had some tofu to use last week when Jon was away, and I thought the flavors and sauce from the Mongolian Beef recipe would work well with tofu. I was right -this was delicious!

Here is my recipe -

Ingredients
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 block firm or extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into thirds three ways (from the top, from the side, and from the ends) to get 2 inch rectangular pieces (or just cubed!)
  • Cornstarch, approximately 2-3 tbsp
  • 1/2 tsp minced ginger (I grated it through the microplane)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 c low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 c water
  • 3/4 c brown sugar
  • 1 green onion, chopped

Directions

  • Toss tofu with cornstarch to coat
  • Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat
  • Add the tofu and cook until browned on all sides, about 6-8 minutes
  • In the meantime, mix the soy sauce, water and brown sugar in a bowl
  • Once the tofu has browned, add the garlic and ginger; saute 1 minute
  • Add the soy sauce mixture and stir; bring to a steady simmer and then reduce to low. Let simmer for several minutes to thicken the sauce.
  • Add half of the green onions
  • Serve over rice and garnish with green onions

I love tofu, and am so glad I have found so many different ways to prepare it. When I first started to eat it, I only made a tofu and vegetable stir fry...and I made it at least once a week! Having options is much, much more delicious!

Print this post

5 comments:

  1. I'm in love with experimenting with tofu too! It's really so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't know Mongolian sauce was so simple! I'll have to make this some time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tofu recipes - this will definitely have to get added to my arsenal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide what to do with the tofu I have in my fridge - this or your Tofu Parmesan! By the way, I’ve nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger award.
    See details here:
    http://tastestalesandtours.blogspot.com/2010/02/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to drop by and say this is a fantastic recipe. Both my husband and I don't really like tofu, but when he saw how cheap it is at the store, he asked me to try to make it again. We both loved this recipe! You've made us want to try tofu again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete