Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wine Braised Chicken with Asparagus and Mushrooms


I have not been good about menu planning the past few weeks. Once my travel schedule gets busy, I end up planning day by day. This results in a lot of meals where I just make things up as I go along, but based on my past few meals, this usually works for us.

So last night was another night of grabbing what I had to pull together dinner. My main ingredients were chicken breasts, asparagus, crimini mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, and chicken broth. I decided to brown the chicken, cook the veggies, and then braise the chicken in the wine and broth.

Ideally I would have served this over Herbed Polenta, but Jon isn't a fan so I stuck with noodles.

Ingredients
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Salt, pepper, dried thyme, paprika
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large shallot, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1-inch long pieces (remove ends first)
  • 1/2 c white wine
  • 1 14.5 oz can low sodium chicken broth

Directions

  • Heat olive oil in a large saute pan
  • Season chicken with salt, pepper, dried thyme, and paprika; add to pan. Cook until golden brown, approximately 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan and keep warm.
  • Add shallots and garlic to pan; saute 2 min
  • Add mushrooms; saute 2 min
  • Deglaze pan with half of the wine, scraping up brown bits
  • Add asparagus and stir
  • Add the rest of the wine and the chicken broth and bring to a simmer
  • Return chicken to pan, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.

This was absolutely delicious. It was extremely fragrant while cooking, and the flavor was just as good - light and fresh.

Print this post

3 comments:

  1. Yum - looks great! I love that I'm finally comfortable enough in the kitchen to cook with whatever I happen to have on hand, like you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very flavourful dish! I love mushrooms with asparagus, throw chicken in there too, perfect!
    - Brittany

    ReplyDelete