Sunday, May 3, 2009

Shrimp and Pasta in a Garlic-Lime-Cilantro Broth

Last week started my busy travel season - every week for the next 2 months, at least. But I was home on Sunday and felt like cooking so I whipped up an easy dish - shrimp for Jon, chicken for me.

My inspiration came from a dish I made a while back - Spicy Chicken and Linguine in a Garlic Lime Broth.

Ingredients

  • Pasta of your choice, cooked - I used capellini tonight. I used linguine in the original recipe.
  • 3/4 lb shrimp (or 1 chicken breast, chopped)
  • Spices - salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 tbsp tequila
  • 1/3 c chicken broth
  • Juice from 1/2 of a lime
  • 2 tbsp chopped cilantro

Directions

  • Coat shrimp (or chicken) in the spices
  • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saute pan
  • Add shrimp and garlic (if you do this with chicken, cook the chicken before adding the garlic). Cook until done.
  • Deglaze pan with tequila
  • Add chicken broth, lime juice, and cilantro. Bring to a simmer
  • Toss with pasta.

3 cloves of garlic for one person? In our house, yes!! This was so easy and was packed full of flavor. We both love lots of garlic, the flavors from chili powder and cumin, and the balance the lime and cilantro add to a dish.

Jon tossed his shrimp and pasta with roasted broccoli before I had a chance to take a picture, but this would be just as good on its own, without broccoli.

Print this post

6 comments:

  1. Oooooooooo..that looks so good, I'm a sucker for pasta. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just tell you that I found your cooking blog through Joelen's Culinary Adventure's post with the Foodie Films tonight and I fell in love. I seriously have 150 cooking blogs in my reader and make my menus off of them. I found myself starring almost all of your recipes dating back to your first post and love how you include your sides in your recipes. In all my blogs I am subscribed to that is definitely in the minority and I think it is fantastic! Keep posting! I cannot wait to make my next menu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna - I'm so glad you are enjoying my blog! I hope that you have fun making many of the recipes. Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need help with this one.... what does it mean when you say "deglaze" with tequila? Recipe sounds great, though! I'm actually making your ribs tonight and linked to your blog on my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! To deglaze you pour the liquid into a hot pan and stir rapidly, whisking up anything stuck to the bottom of the pan. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 years later I juust discovered this recipe ... I searched on "shrimp lime pasta" and this was one of the first matches ... it ROCKS! Very simple. Very delicious. Thanks Jon, it would have never occured to me to add roasted broccoli but it fits great! I added some corn starch because I hate to leave the sauce at the bottom of the bowl.

    ReplyDelete