Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sauteed Curried Chicken with Peppers


Another one of those nights of "what ingredients do I have on hand and what quick and easy meal can I make with them?"

Chicken, peppers, onions, garlic, and pantry full of spices and other staples. I remembered a dish I made and really like a few weeks ago, Sauteed Curried Beef with Broccoli. Let's try it with chicken!

I changed a few of the ingredients and the cooking method, and came up with this -

Ingredients

  • 2 chicken breast, sliced into strips
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 14.5 oz can low sodium chicken broth
  • Sliced bell peppers - I used a bit of red, orange, and green peppers (about 1/2 pepper each)
  • 2 cups rice, cooked

Directions

  • Heat oil in a large saute pan
  • Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to pan and cook 6-7 minutes
  • Add onions and cook 3 minutes
  • Add garlic, brown sugar, curry powder, broth, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
  • Add peppers; cover and let simmer 8-10 minutes.
  • Serve over rice

This definitely worked with chicken. I'll put this on the menu again when I'm looking for something quick and easy yet full of flavor.

Print this post

3 comments:

  1. I need to use more curry in my dishes since it's one I usually only use for Indian dishes. This looks wonderful and I bet tasted delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best meals are made of "what ingredients do I have on hand and what quick and easy meal can I make with them?" It's a motto I live by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris is working his second job tonight and my sister instant messaged me that she was trying this tonight, and i thought "ooh i have everything and it looks quick and easy!" so i made it too, and it was so yummy! definitely a keeper. Thanks MaryEllen, another recipe that was just great!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete