Last week I found this recipe for Sauteed Curried Beef and Broccoli on the Epicurious web site. I have a jar of curry powder, but Jon is the only one who has ever used it (his curried meatballs). I decided to try this one and was very pleased. I made a few changes to the recipe, so my adaptation is below.
- 1 pound broccoli, stems and heads cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- Coarse-grained salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 pound steak strips for stir fry (or thinly sliced flank steak)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- Cook rice according to package directions
- Heat oil in a large saute pan
- Add onions and cook 3 minutes
- Add beef and cook approximately 6-7 minutes, until browned
- Add garlic, brown sugar, curry powder, broth, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Add broccoli and red peppers; cover and let simmer 8-10 minutes.
- Serve over rice
Delicious, quick, and easy. I'll definitely make this one again. It would be good with any veggies that you would use in stir fry, so I'll experiment with others next time.
Print this post