Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hearty Vegetarian Vegetable Stew


I know what you are thinking - stew is supposed to have beef or some other kind of meat in it, otherwise it wouldn't be a hearty stew. I'm going to prove you wrong, but I think you'll be happy about that once you have a bowl.

My vegetarian days are long over, but this is one of the dishes I still make. I first started making this stew about 12 years ago, and honestly couldn't even tell you where I found it. Over the years I made many changes to it, so I consider this recipe my own. (I even searched high and low for a similar recipe before posting that statement and couldn't find one).

Ingredients (4-6 servings)

  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 carrots, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 2 potatoes, chopped
  • 2 14.5-oz cans vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp dried thyme (measurement is approximate, I season directly from the jar)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp black pepper (also approximate, season to taste)
  • 1 28-oz can whole tomatoes (no juice)
  • 1 14 oz can creamed corn
  • 1/2 c frozen peas

Directions

  • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat
  • Add onions and garlic, saute 3-4 minutes
  • Add carrots, celery, and potatoes; stir to mix everything together
  • Add broth, thyme, bay leaf, and black pepper
  • Let simmer 10-15 minutes until potatoes are mostly done
  • Add tomatoes (I crush them slightly with my hands) and corn
  • Cover and let simmer 20 minutes
  • Add the peas and continue to simmer 10 minutes
  • Remove bay leaf and serve


Like a meat stew, this one also gets better the next day. It is so delicious, comforting, and satisfying, and now that I'm totally craving another bowl, I'm going to stop writing to eat an early dinner. I hope you try this one soon!

Print this post

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a yummy filling comfort food dish that is also super healthy - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also not a veggie but love finding yummy veggie and healthy recipes like this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how healthy this is and it looks delicious and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog and have already made a few of your recipes; they're awesome! I'm going to try the veggie stew tonight and the pot pie this weekend. Thanks to all of your great recipes, I have one happy husband! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Stacie - I'm so glad you are enjoying the recipes. I love hearing the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to start eating healthier as summer is coming. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG. This recipe is so hot. I'd recomend you cut the black pepper in half. It's way to much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous - you sure you added only 1 tsp of black pepper, and not accidentally 1 tbsp? 1 tsp doesn't seem like much to make it so spicy considering the quantity of the stew. Perhaps if you're more sensitive to peppery foods consider the "season to taste" remarks, adding little by little ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this tonight for my boyfriend and we both loved it! It was good after a cold, rainy day

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the soup. we have made it a monthly ritual. ta v much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good! I added a pinch of cumin just for the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete