Sunday, March 1, 2009

Soup Sunday - Roasted Tomato Soup


It has been a while, but I was finally able to make this Sunday a Soup Sunday! I have been making other things on Sundays - stews, chicken salad to have in for the week, big dinners - but with the snow coming tonight I was in the mood for soup.

I came across
this recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup in Annie's blog. It's a very simple recipe that delivers big flavor. When tasting it you would think that I added cream, but I did not - this is a very healthy soup. The creaminess comes from pureeing the soup.

Below is Annie's recipe -

Ingredients

  • 3 lbs. ripe tomatoes, cut in half, insides scooped out
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 (28 oz. can) whole or chopped tomatoes, with their juices
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves
  • 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (or ½ tsp. dried)
  • 4 cups chicken stock (I think a vegetable broth would work well for a vegetarian option)

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 400°.
  • Toss tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Spread tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet covered in foil and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
  • In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with 2 tbsp. olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes until the onions start to brown.
  • Add the canned tomatoes, roasted tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 min.
  • Pass through food processor. I used my blender since my food processor is tiny, and I did it in 3 batches.
  • Return to pot to rewarm before serving

There is no need to EVER buy canned tomato soup when this recipe is so delicious and easy, and you can't find a soup this healthy in a can. I think it would be great with some fresh Parmesan grated on top, and/or some homemade garlic croutons or a side of crusty bread.

I'm looking forward to eating a cup tonight before dinner. And I think tomorrow I may have a cup with a grilled cheese sandwich - what a perfect lunch for a snow day!




Print this post

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! This is truly one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a lot healthier than the tomato soup I made recently! I love tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches too.

    ReplyDelete