Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Fried Chic Peas

We picked up some broccoli rabe today and I had planned on making a dish I make often, Pasta with Broccoli Rabe. It's quick, easy, and delicious. Sometimes I change it up and add sausage, like in this dish, Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe.

I was looking for something a little different, so decided on this recipe for Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe and Fried Chic Peas. I made a few changes, noted in italics below.


  • 1 pound orecchiette pasta (little ear-shaped pasta) or penne (I couldn't find orecchiette, so I used medium shells, about 10 oz)
  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 15 1/2-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), well drained (I only used 1 can and it was more than enough)
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh sage (I didn't have sage, and wanted something bolder, so used 6 cloves sliced garlic instead of the 4 listed above)
  • 1 1-pound bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2/3 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup (packed) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
  • Added: 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes


  • Cook orecchiette in large pot of boiling salted water until pasta is tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
  • Meanwhile, melt butter with olive oil in another large pot over high heat.
  • Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
  • Add garbanzo beans and sauté until garbanzo beans are beginning to color, about 8 minutes.
  • Add half of sliced fresh sage and sauté 1 minute to blend flavors. This is when I added the red pepper flakes.
  • Add broccoli rabe, wine, and 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid to pot. Cover and simmer until broccoli rabe is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
  • Uncover and add pasta, remaining sage, and Parmesan cheese; toss to combine.
  • Mix in more of reserved cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls if pasta is dry.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Transfer to large bowl and serve.

I enjoyed this. Jon was a bit freaked out by the texture of the chic peas, but I liked that they added a bit of protein to this vegetarian meal.

Print this post


ashley said...

oh yum! this sounds great!

Kristen616 said...

I've never had Broccoli Rabe before but this pasta dish looks fantastic! I need new Vegetarian dishes for Lent, so this is great! Thanks, I look forward to trying it!

Kevin said...

This pasta sounds nice and healthy and good!