Monday, February 16, 2009

Beef Barbacoa for Tacos

I have only been to Chipotle Mexican Grill twice, but both times ordered the Beef Barbacoa Tacos - once soft, once hard. I loved the flavor of the meat and was surprised to find something so good at a fast food restaurant.

The other night Jon cooked
Beef Negimaki using flank steak, so we had some uncooked flank steak left over. I planned on making tacos tonight so decided that I had to try to make beef that tasted like Chipotle's Beef Barbacoa.

After googling, I found this copycat recipe for Beef Barbacoa. I used the recipe for the marinade only, and cooked it on the stove instead of in the slow cooker. Also, I had about 1/3 lb meat, not the 1.5 lbs that the recipe called for so I adjusted the amounts accordingly, as noted below.


  • 1/3 lb flank steak; the beef we had leftover was pounded thin
  • 1 diced tomato
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • Dash red wine
  • Juice from 1/2 of a lime
  • 1/3 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/3 tsp ground oregano
  • 1 seeded and sliced jalapeno (the recipe for 1.5 lbs meat also used 1 jalapeno..I could have actually used more!)
  • 2 Tbs. cilantro
  • 1/3 large onion,thickly sliced
  • Dash each salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • For cooking: 8 oz beef broth and 2 tbsp crushed tomatoes

Directions (these are my own directions; for slow cooker directions, see the original post)

  • Mix all marinade ingredients and marinate the beef overnight.
  • When ready to cook, remove the beef from the marinade
  • Heat olive oil in a deep saute pan or Dutch oven
  • Add beef to pan and cook about 2 minutes on each side, until browned.
  • Add marinade to pan and bring to a boil; let simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Cooking time will be longer for more meat.
  • Remove meat from pan and shred.
  • Drain marinade, pressing on solids, and return liquid portion of the drained marinade to the pan with the beef broth and tomatoes. Discard the solids from the drained marinade.
  • Return shredded beef to the pan and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.

I can't believe how much this beef tasted like Chipotle's beef, but even better, and nowhere near as salty. I also think Chipotle uses a chipotle pepper in their marinade, but I didn't miss the flavor.

I served the meat in hard taco shells, but think soft corn tortillas would work well as they wouldn't get as soggy.

Print this post


Elizabeth said...

We go to Chipotle almost once a week. My husband always gets the barbacoa tacos. Thanks for sharing this recipe - I will soon be giving it a try!

elly said...

Mmm, this looks great. I haven't had Chipotle in ages but I agree it's really pretty great, especially for fast food. :)

Joelen said...

I love Chipotle and it helps that we're only a block away walking distance from one! This looks like a fab recipe - thanks for sharing!

Kevin said...

Those tacos look good!

Anonymous said...

I went to Mexico for Christmas last year. I had Tacos De Barbacoa several times. I miss them and have been looking for a recipe for a while. I'll try this one, hopefully it will come close. We'll see.