Saturday, January 17, 2009

Roasted Garlic and White Bean Spread (or Dip)

We decided to stay in tonight and cook, so I wanted to make an appetizer to have before dinner. I love roasted garlic so used that as my inspiration. I browsed recipes for dips or spreads using roasted garlic. I found two that I liked and used ideas from both to come up with a Roasted Garlic and White Bean Spread...or Dip!


The first inspiration recipe was for Tuscan Bean and Roasted Garlic Puree found on the Epicurious web site. The second inspiration recipe was this one for Roasted Garlic and White Bean Dip from the blog, Off the Spork. Below is my adaptation.

Ingredients
  • 3 head of garlic, roasted (cut tops off, add some olive oil, wrap in foil and put in a 425 degree oven for 25-40 minutes, until the cloves are soft)
  • 1 can white beans; I used Great Northern beans
  • 1/2 sm onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian version)
  • Few dashed dried rubbed sage
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and pepper
  • Parsley (used it for color, about 1 tsp dried)

Directions

  • While the garlic is roasting, heat olive oil in a pot.
  • Add onions, saute.
  • Add beans, stir.
  • Add sage, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Let simmer until garlic is done cooking. Remove bay leaf.
  • Cool garlic and remove the cloves from their peels.
  • In food processor, combine bean mixture (use a slotted spoon so you don't add the liquid, but reserve the liquid), garlic, about 1 tsp olive oil, salt to flavor, and parsley. Puree. Adjust salt if needed, and add the reserved cooking liquid if you need to thin the puree at all.
  • Before serving, I drizzled a touch of white truffle oil on top.

This spread would have been perfect on toasted baguette slices, but I only had a bag of bagel chips!! It was still very good - creamy, sweet, and mmm, that taste of roasted garlic is so delicious!

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love white bean dips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh - I have Spanish white beans still waiting to be used. I may have to make this for the superbowl!

    ReplyDelete