When I planned our meals for the week, I chose Mexican for Sunday. We had tortilla soup first, and instead of enchiladas, I made a Mexican Veggie Lasagna. I made this one up as I went along.
Ingredients for Sauce
- 2 tbsp evoo
- 3 tsp flour
- 5 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp tomato paste
3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 c light cream
- 1/2 tsp each of coriander, Mexican oregano, salt, and cumin
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese; I used a Mexican blend
Directions for Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a pot
- Add flour and chili powder; stir until you have a paste.
- Add tomato paste, stir
- Add chicken broth and the rest of the spices
- Add cream and bring to a simmer
- Add cheese and stir until creamy
Ingredients for Lasagna
- 1/2 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 3 mushrooms
- 1/2 c frozen broccoli
- 1/2 c frozen corn
- 12 small corn tortillas
- Cheese; I used a Mexican blend
- Sauce (see above)
Directions for Lasagna
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan.
- Add onions and peppers; saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add squash, zucchini, broccoli, and corn. Saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt. I also added a pinch of chili powder and cumin.
Look at these beautiful veggies:
- Assemble the lasagna... spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Add tortillas, veggies, more sauce, and cheese. Continue layering in this order, ending with a final layer of tortillas, sauce, and cheese.
- Bake covered on 375 for approximately 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
This was a nice change from enchiladas. I think it needed a bit more heat, if you like heat that is. Next time I'd add some cayenne to the sauce, and more jalapenos to the veggies. And actually, I think it would have been good with some of the chicken that I shredded for the soup! But if you are looking for a vegetarian meal, this one delivers.