Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Gruyere Chicken with Caramelized Onions and Spinach


Some things are just meant to go together. Spaghetti and meatballs, buffalo wings and blue cheese, pizza and beer. One of my favorite combinations is Gruyere cheese, caramelized onions, and spinach. Those ingredients inspired tonight's dinner, which is my own creation.


Ingredients


  • 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; trimmed and pounded out a bit
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • Salt and pepper
  • Pinch of thyme
  • Pinch of sugar
  • Paprika
  • Approx 3 tbsp flour
  • Olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Approx 1/3 c white wine
  • 12 slices Gruyere cheese
  • Fresh spinach

Directions

  • Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over medium heat
  • Add onions, pinch each of salt, pepper, sugar, and thyme. Let cook, stirring often, for approximately 30 minutes until the onions are brown and caramelized. Remove from pan.
  • Add another tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter to pan
  • Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and paprika. Cut a small pocket in the side to stuff them with cheese later. Dredge in flour, shake off excess.
  • Place chicken in the pan; cook approximately 4 minutes on each side. As my chicken was cooking, my pan was turning very brown, but I also thought that there was a lot of flavor in those brown bits so I deglazed the pan with white wine. Put a slice of cheese in each pocket. Continue to baste chicken with the white wine in the pan.
  • When the chicken is done, top each piece with 3 slices Gruyere cheese.
  • Place under the broiler in your oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
  • Top each chicken breast with some of the caramelized onions, and place under the broiler for another 2 minutes.


  • Serve over sauteed spinach (saute spinach in olive oil with salt and pepper for 3-4 minutes, until just wilted).


I love these flavors together! I don't know what it is, but they just go together, like it was meant to be.


Print this post

14 comments:

  1. I love that flavor combination... mmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I agree they go well together. The chicken kind of reminds me of this "french onion chicken" I've made a couple times and blogged. Mmm gruyere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it all sounds fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting but, for the benefit of us colonials in Australia, what is an EVOO?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Lee!! EVOO stands for Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum!! All these flavors looks DELICIOUS together!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mary Ellen; Why is everything so obvious when you know the answer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had to say that I've spent a good hour now going through some of the recipes and posts on your blog. Hands down, you have the best food blog I have ever read. You have seriously motivated me to try some of these things, I am so exciiiiiited! I will DEFINITELY let you know how it turns out when I try one of your recipes. YOU ROCK! Thanks again for giving me the link to your blog on the MM board!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 10yearstogether - wow, thank you! I'm glad I have motivated you to cook! I only started a few years ago and absolutely love it. Keep me updated on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks amazing! I have marked this one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooohhh! This picture instantly started my mouth watering! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this chicken this weekend with shitake mushroom risotto... best chicken ever! So delicious. You're right, gruyere & carmelized onions are soulmates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This recipe was EXCELLENT! Great combination of flavors, turned out exactly as you described. It is not difficult to make but it is a very elegant meal! I will be making this for guests! THANK YOU for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete