Print this post
Using up what's in the fridge - the theme for last night's dinner.
Let's see, there's some ricotta, half of a jar of spaghetti sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses... and in the pantry I have 4 leftover lasagna noodles from last week's chicken-veggie lasagna. Add in some onions, garlic, and spinach and I think we have something! Here is what I threw together -
- Lasagna noodles (this recipe would have made 6, but I only had 4)
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c each (estimated) shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 sm onion, chopped
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and very well drained (squeeze ALL of the water out!!)
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Spaghetti sauce
- Cook lasagna noodles
- Heat olive oil in a small pan; saute onions and garlic until tender, about 3-4 minutes
- Mix ricotta, egg, half of the mozzarella and Parmesan, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, cooked onions and garlic, and spinach
- Once noodles are done, spread each one with the ricotta mixture. Top with a tiny bit of mozzarella and Parmesan. Roll it up and place in a baking dish, seam side down.
- Once all of the rolls have been rolled, pour some spaghetti sauce over them and top with the rest of the shredded cheeses.
- Bake on 375, covered, for approximately 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before eating so they really set.
These were delicious and SO much easier than making a full tray of lasagna. And what a great way to use up those last few noodles that never would have fit in my baking dish when I made lasagna.