Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bubbles and Squeak


Sounds like a funny drinking game, or some sort of dance step, but Bubbles and Squeak is actually a traditional dish from the UK of fried meat and cabbage. Over the years it has evolved into a fried dish of any sort of leftover, usually involving potatoes.

It has been a while since I cooked (lovely week spent in the Caribbean - restaurant reviews and food pics to follow) so I wanted to do something that I could post in my blog this week! My parents made Thanksgiving dinner this year, and while eating, my mom and sister told me about a show on the Food Network where they made Bubble and Squeak from their leftovers. On Friday, I made my own version with their leftovers.

Ingredients


  • Leftover mashed potatoes
  • Leftover stuffing, crumbled
  • Salt and pepper
  • Grated white cheese (cheddar, Parmesan, asiago, etc)
  • Dried parsley for color
  • Optional - leftover veggies or turkey, finely chopped
  • 1 egg
  • Bread crumbs

Basically, all you do is mix up the leftovers, cheese, and spices, then form patties. I dipped each patty in egg, bread crumbs, and then fried in olive oil for about 3 minutes per side.

The Sauce...

On the show my mom saw, they took beef broth and corn, heated both, and then pureed the mixture with an immersion blender. Here is what I did -

  • 1 can chicken broth (vegetable broth would be tasty, too)
  • 1/3 bag frozen corn
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/3 c heavy cream
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese

I heated the broth and corn and then transferred it to a food processor and pureed it. Then I mixed the flour with the cream, and slowly added it to the mixture along with the cheese. Blend well and season with salt and pepper. Return the sauce to the stove to reheat.

This wasn't the prettiest sauce, but surprisingly it was very good! Sweet and creamy, and the perfect taste for the potato-stuffing patties.

So there you have it, I made use of leftovers for my first blog post in 2 weeks. After the next week of business travel and meetings, I'll be back in the kitchen - I can't wait! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

Print this post

1 comment:

  1. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I've heard of bubble & squeak and I look forward to giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete