I ran into Wegman's this morning on my way home from picking up my Phillies NL Champs t-shirt (woo!). I only needed to grab a few things, and had no plans to make soup today, but then I spotted a head of cabbage and it ended up in my basket. I didn't buy any other soup ingredients, so when I got home, I made this up as I went along. Here is my recipe -
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 64 oz chicken (or vegetable) broth, low sodium preferred
- Tomatoes; I used 2 chopped vine ripened tomatoes and approximately 4-6 oz canned crushed tomatoes (using what I had!! Next time I'll make sure to have a small can of diced tomatoes for the soup)
- Dried thyme; approximately 1-1.5 tsp
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Add onions and garlic, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add thyme at this time as well.
- Add cabbage and reduce to a simmer until cabbage is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Adjust thyme if needed, and add salt and pepper.
Not to toot my own horn, but I think I did a pretty good job with this one! I used chicken broth, but I think this would be a fabulous vegetarian soup using vegetable broth.
Print this post