Monday, September 8, 2008

Roasted Garlic Soup


I am pushing for fall to get here, and the weather if finally turning just a bit. On Saturday we were washed out by all of the rain from Hannah, so we decided to stay in and have a date at home - Saturday is normally our night to go out to a nice restaurant.

Our first course was roasted garlic soup, based on
this recipe in my Epicurious recipe box.

I find soup very difficult to photograph, but at least you can see the beautiful, warm color.

Ingredients
  • 26 garlic cloves (unpeeled) You can just keep the bulbs full to make your life easier
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
  • 2 1/4 cups sliced onions
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme I used dried thyme, about 3/4 tsp
  • 18 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream I used light cream
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
  • 4 lemon wedges I didn't add lemon

Directions

  • Roast garlic: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 26 garlic cloves in small glass baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes. Cool. Squeeze garlic between fingertips to release cloves. Transfer cloves to small bowl.
  • Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and thyme and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.
  • Add roasted garlic and 18 raw garlic cloves and cook 3 minutes.
  • Add chicken stock; cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes.
  • Working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth. I used my handheld immersion blender
  • Return soup to saucepan; add cream and bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.)
  • Divide grated cheese among 4 bowls and ladle soup over. Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve. I don't think it needed the lemon, so I didn't add it

I say this with every soup post because I love soup, but this one is my new favorite! It was more elegant that a chunky, hearty winter soup. It was smooth, sweet yet rich, and just delicious.

Print this post

1 comment:

  1. What a delicious looking soup. Anything with roasted garlic has got to be good!

    ReplyDelete