What's this, a baking post?? I don't bake!! Well, I had the urge yesterday. I was craving a muffin so I went in search of an easy recipe.
I don't know what it is about baking - all of the precise measuring maybe? And I don't feel that I can be creative. I don't understand the role of the different ingredients - baking soda, for example - so I don't know how to make changes. And I also don't like sweets, so why bother! Creative cooking is definitely more my thing!
The recipe I decided on was this one for Blueberry Banana Muffins. I followed the recipe exactly..of course!
- 1 and 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used fresh)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oatmeal - quick or instant
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 large egg - slightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare 12 muffin cups with papers or generous coating of cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, oats, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the bananas, milk, egg, oil and lemon juice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill each prepared muffin cup a little more than 3/4 full. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Stick a toothpick in the center of one of the muffins. If it comes out dry, the muffins are done. If there's a little batter stuck to it, you need to cook the muffins longer.
This recipe noted that it would make 12 muffins, but I ended up with 16. They are good, too!
Print this post