Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sirloin Strips with Broccoli and Red Pepper in a Hoison-Soy Sauce

Sunday is supposed to be my day where I can spend hours cooking, but I just didn't have the time today with work being so busy, even on the weekends. So I decided quick and easy was the way to go tonight.

Sirloin steaks were on sale today, so I decided to do a variation of my
beef and broccoli. I've also made something similar with bok choy and red peppers.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed and sliced into thin strips
  • Soy sauce and Worcestershire for the marinade - just enough of each to lightly coat the steak strips
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 green onions, chopped (or a chopped white onion)
  • 1 large head broccoli, chopped into medium florets
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 package dry brown gravy mix, mixed with 1 cup of water
  • 1.5 tsps Hoison sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • Optional: red pepper flakes (I forgot them today!!)

Directions

  • Trim the steak, slice into strips, and marinate for a few hours in soy sauce and Worcestershire. You could also add some garlic.
  • Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large pan; add steak, cook for about 8 minutes (flipping to cook all sides) and then drain the fat
  • Return pan to heat and add the garlic and green onions; saute 2 minutes
  • Add the broccoli and red peppers, saute 1 minute
  • Mix the Hoison sauce with the gravy; add to pan and stir so everything is coated
  • Add the additional soy sauce if needed/desired
  • Turn heat to medium low and let simmer for about 8-10 minutes
  • Serve over rice

Normally I make this dish without the Hoison, and with red pepper flakes, for a spicier version. The addition of the Hoison sauce added a nice sweetness and helped to thicken the sauce. Even better, it only took about 25 minutes from prep to finish!

Print this post

1 comment:

  1. Again, Mary Ellen's Sunday Creations become my Monday MOWs (Meals on Wheels) ------ and most of the time I get free delivery --- Dad

    ReplyDelete