Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuscan White Bean and Cabbage Soup



On Sundays I like to plan my lunches for the week. It saves me time and keeps me from grabbing something that is not good for me out of convenience.

This Sunday I made a new soup that I found on Epicurious.com - Tuscan White Bean and Cabbage Soup. After reading the recipe I thought the quantity of each ingredient was a big high, especially considering the veggie to broth ratio, so I made a few changes. I also didn't add fresh basil as the recipe instructed (I'm not a big fan of too much basil). Here is what I did:


Ingredients
  • 3/4 lb dried white beans (I could have used even less)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp dried thyme
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3/4 head of green cabbage, chopped
  • 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 4 celery stalks, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3 carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 10 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 potato, diced
  • 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • Salt, pepper
  • Grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  • Soak beans in water in a covered pot/bowl over night. Drain when ready to make the soup.
  • Heat olive oil in a large pot.
  • Add onion, thyme and garlic; saute 5 minutes.
  • Add cabbage, tomatoes, celery, and carrots; saute 5 minutes.
  • Add beans, broth, and potatoes; bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat, cover and simmer 60-90 minutes.
  • Add zucchini; cover and simmer until veggies are tender, about 20 minutes.
  • Serve with Parmesan cheese.

This is a really nice springtime soup. Next time I'd use less beans and less ingredients overall as it's a little closer to a stew than soup, but it's still good.

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. This looks great. I love to take soup for lunch too- I may have to try this recipe next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this white bean post! I'm a huge fan of white beans, and make them so often they're pretty much a staple in our house. I'm looking forward to making this!

    ReplyDelete