Sunday, April 20, 2008

Chicken with Tomatillos and Roasted Poblanos, Jalapenos, and Anaheim Peppers




The next few months are going to be crazy with business travel, so I probably won't be able to cook as many new things as I'd like. So I have decided that I'll try something new at least every Sunday. Last week I made short ribs for the first time, and tonight I tried another new recipe, Chicken with Tomatillos and Roasted Poblanos, Jalapenos, and Anaheim Peppers.

The original recipe can be found
here. I made only minor changes; my version is below -

Ingredients

  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 poblano peppers
  • 1 Anaheim pepper
  • 2 jalapeno peppers (1 whole for roasting, 1 chopped)
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 tsp Mexican oregano
  • Salt and pepper
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Cornstarch
  • Olive oil
  • Handful of freshly chopped cilantro

Directions

  • Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place poblanos, the Anaheim, and 1 jalapeno directly on the rack. Cook for 20 minutes, turning peppers two times. Remove from the oven, let cool, and remove the skin. Chop peppers.
  • Heat olive oil in a pan; I used a medium nonstick pan. Add all of the peppers, onion, green onion, and garlic. Saute 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and oregano, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Season lightly with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
  • Heat olive oil in a separate, larger pan. Season chicken lightly with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Dredge in cornstarch (or flour), shake off excess, and put in the pan. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Add pepper mixture to the chicken and let simmer for 25 minutes (until chicken is done), adjusting seasonings if necessary.
  • Stir in cilantro and serve over rice.



Jon and I both loved this dish. At first bite the sauce tasted sweet, but then the heat came out and rounded out the flavors - just right! The sauce was great on the rice, too. I'd definitely make this one again.

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment