Friday, March 7, 2008

A good night for comfort food...

On Fridays we usually hit our favorite bar for happy hour, but this week was so crazy and tonight was rainy and cold so I decided to cook.

Fettuccine Alfredo was a definite, and I also picked up some chicken having no idea what I'd do with it. Marinated, grilled chicken would have been great, but not in the pouring rain, so I decided to do a stuffed chicken. I normally wouldn't make a cream based pasta and chicken in the same meal, but it's Friday, so who cares, right???

The chicken... I made this up as I went along.



Ingredients

  • 5 thinly sliced chicken breasts (when using thinly sliced breasts, each person can easily eat 2; the picture below gives a good idea of the size)
  • 3 wedges of Laughing Cow cheese
  • 1 tbsp Asiago cheese
  • 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • Dash of cayenne
  • Dash of paprika
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil
  • Bread crumbs
Directions
  • Sprinkle each breast with some salt and pepper
  • In a small bowl, mix Laughing Cow cheese, Asiago cheese, parsley, garlic, cayenne, paprika, and just a touch of salt and pepper
  • Spread about a teaspoon of the mixture onto each breast; roll and put a toothpick through the end to hold it closed
  • Put chicken into a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle each one with bread crumbs
  • Bake on 375 for 15-20 minutes, flipping once, then turn on the broiler for 3-4 minutes.
The cheese oozed out a bit, the chicken got crispy, and they were just delicious. Yes, the cream in the chicken and the cream in the pasta was a bit much for one meal, but it seemed perfect for a cold and rainy night when I was craving comfort food.



My Fettuccine Alfredo recipe can be found here. I was out of butter tonight so I only used oil and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I also used light cream cheese and light cream instead of the full versions of both. I also used fresh parsley instead of dried - makes such a big difference in my opinion!

I made sauteed spinach for our veggie - saute spinach in olive oil for 2-3 minutes until wilted. I sprinkled it with Kosher salt as it was cooking.

Happy Weekend... Finally!

Print this post

3 comments:

  1. Wow Mary Ellen, I am drooling just looking at this meal. I am going to have to try this one. I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ellen, thanks for all the great ideas! Your blog makes my day!

    http://cookingandeatinginthewindycity.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making my day! Check out: http://tinyurl.com/2bvkh6

    ReplyDelete