I am always looking for new soup recipes, and when I came across this recipe on Epicurious, I knew I had to try it. Below is how I made the soup (just a few small variations from the original..)
- 2 large heads of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup asiago cheese (not in original recipe)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (not in original recipe)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (original recipe called for 1/4 tsp)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add shallots and saute for 3 minutes
- Add garlic and broccoli; saute 1 minute
- Add chicken broth; bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Puree the soup using a handheld immersion blender or by transferring batches to a blender and then returning to the pot.
- Whisk in the mascarpone cheese, asiago cheese, and cayenne pepper.
- This soup can be made ahead of time, up to a day before serving. To reheat, heat on medium being careful not to boil the soup. Garnish with mascarpone and asiago.
I think this is my new favorite soup! It was so easy but it tasted like a very complex soup that had cooked all day. I love the heat the cayenne added - not spice, but a good heat. I would definitely recommend this soup!