Thursday, December 13, 2007

Homemade Fish Sticks with Creamy Mac-n-Cheese and Garlic Brussels Sprouts



I have tried every type of fish, and just a few months ago I discovered that I liked catfish. I think I like it because it is a fresh water fish and is very sweet. Jon loves seafood so I decided to get some catfish today. I didn't want to just bake the filets like I did last time, so I made fish sticks out of them.

Catfish Sticks

Ingredients

  • 3/4 pound catfish (this was 2 filets today)
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 c milk

Directions

  • Slice catfish filets into 3-4 inch long, 1 inch wide pieces
  • In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the parsley, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and cheese.
  • Dip each piece of fish in the flour, then milk, then breadcrumb mixture and place on a baking dish/cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
  • When you are done with all the sticks, cover them and put them in the fridge for 20-30 minutes
  • Bake on 375 for 15-20 minutes, flipping once
I liked these. Since I'm not a huge fish fan, the spices in the breadcrumb mixture added nice flavor and disguised the fish a bit!


My creamy mac-n-cheese recipe can be found here. Warning - it's not healthy, but it is oh-so-yummy!



I introduced Jon to Brussels sprouts a few months ago and now he loves them. I cannot remember where I found this recipe for garlic Brussels sprouts, but when I do I will post the link/source.


Ingredients


  • 20 (or so) fresh Brussels sprouts
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped or pressed
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 tsp salt (I don't add salt since the chicken broth is a bit salty)
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper

Directions

  • Trim the end of each Brussels sprout; set aside.
  • In a large saucepan, saute garlic in 1 teaspoon butter and oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown
  • Add sprouts; toss to coat.
  • Add the broth, salt and pepper;cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until sprouts are tender.
  • Serve with a slotted spoon; I like pouring some of the garlic broth over them on my plate
Look at these beauties!




Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment