Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Eve Appetizers

Christmas Eve is a great night for a lot of appetizers and different foods - nothing fancy, just good, home cooking!

Unfortunately this year I couldn't do as much as I wanted since I had pneumonia. We ended up taking food over to my parents' house so they could do all of the work..thank goodness! We contributed two appetizers - my spinach artichoke dip and Jon's boiled shrimp and homemade cocktail sauce.


My Spinach Artichoke Dip

I tried a few different recipes and finally created my own. Believe me, if you make this one, it will be the best you have ever tried.






Ingredients
  • ½ sweet yellow onion finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 10 oz box frozen spinach
  • 2 cans artichoke hearts in water, drained and coarsely chopped
  • 2 packages cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • ½ cup mayonnaise
  • 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
  • Few pinches of red pepper flakes
  • Salt
Directions
  • Saute onion and garlic in olive oil and set aside
  • Cook spinach according to package directions; drain.
  • Mix spinach, onion, and garlic in large bowl.
  • Add cream cheese; mix
  • Add mayonnaise, sour cream, cheeses, red pepper flakes, and salt. Mix well.
  • Add artichoke hearts; mix; transfer to a baking dish
  • Top with some cheese.
  • Either store in fridge until ready to bake or bake on 350 degrees until hot and bubbly.
  • Serve with tortilla chips and/or raw vegetables such as carrots and celery.



Jon's Shrimp and Cocktail Sauce

It is a tradition in Jon's family to have lots of shrimp on Christmas Eve. Jon loves this tradition - it's another excuse to make shrimp!




Here is what he does -

  • Add 3 tbsp white vinegar and 1/3 cup of Old Bay seasoning to a pot of water; bring to a fast boil
  • Add 2 lbs of shrimp to the boiling water. Cook until firm, approximately 7 minutes.
  • Remove from the water and toss under cold water to stop the cooking.
  • Clean and de-vein the shrimp (unless you bought them clean)
  • Chill in the fridge

Cocktail sauce: Jon mixes ketchup, horseradish, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce to make his cocktail sauce. Whew is it spicy!!

Print this post

7 comments:

  1. i have a great spinach artichoke recipe i tried but now i can't find it... i can't wait to try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for New Year's Eve and it was a huge hit. It was fabulous! Thanks for sharing! I will keeping this recipe for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made this and it was so good! (i ate almost the whole thing myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the dip for a party I had last night. It disappeared! Delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Approximately how many does this dip serve? Looking forward to making it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! This dip served 6 plus leftovers, and we ate a lot of it!! I made it again last week and it served 7 with leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I make this recipe for Spinach Artichoke dip, people RAVE.

    And then ask for the recipe. It is the best!

    ReplyDelete