I can't believe how long it has been since I last posted! Things have been so busy with work that I've been making my regular meals. I haven't had the time or energy to try new things or come up with new recipes. But last weekend we were invited to a dinner party and I offered to make an appetizer. I made this one up with inspiration from the Blue Cheese Tart I made over the summer. I wish I had a picture! But hey, at least I have a new post!
- 3 yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 tsp each sugar and salt
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 refrigerated pizza crust; I used Pillsbury
- 3/4 cup each shredded Parmesan and Asiago Cheeses
- 3 tbsp of a soft cheese like mascarpone which I'll use next time. I didn't have any so I used Laughing Cow Lowfat Swiss (2 wedges)
- Caramelize the onions: Melt butter in a saute pan with the olive oil. Add onions and saute on medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add salt and sugar, stir, and lower heat to medium/medium low. Continue to stir the onions for about 20 minutes or until they are a nice golden brown color.
- Roll your pizza crust out onto a cookie sheet. I prebaked mine for about 5 minutes.
- Top the pizza crust with the spreadable cheese, then the onions, then some of the shredded cheese, then crumbled bacon, and then finally the rest of the crumbled cheese
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the crust is a nice golden brown
- Slice into 2 inch squares and serve
I could go for some of this right now! It was so tasty and I love the mixture of the sweet onions with the flavor of the cheeses and bacon. I was surprised at how well the Laughing Cow cheese worked. It was a great substitute for a "flavorless" spreadable cheese which is what I originally pictured using.Print this post