I was craving a creamier version of my mac n cheese to go with dinner tonight, so I experimented with a few things. It worked! This was the creamiest (note, not the healthiest) mac-n-cheese I've ever made. Jon also liked it more than my usual recipe. I served it with my buffalo chicken strips.
- 1/2 pound elbow noodles
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups total of shredded cheeses; I used cheddar, parmesan, asiago, and pecorino romano
- 1/4 tsp each cayenne and red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp flour
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a pot; add onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 min. Add flour, stir
- Add milk and 1 cup of the cream slowly. Add softened cream cheese. Also add the cayenne and red pepper flakes.
- Cooking, stirring frequently, until it is lightly bubbling
- Turn heat down to low and slowly add cheeses, stirring constantly. This will turn into a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Pour cooked noodles into the sauce and stir, coating every noodle. Add salt if needed.
- I like to bake the mac n cheese a bit so I transferred everything to a baking dish and poured the rest of the heavy cream over it. It baked on 350 for about 10-15 minutes.Print this post