Thursday, July 19, 2007

Stroganoff Casserole - vegetarian or full of meat!

Tuesday night, my neighbor Danielle and I drank a LOT of wine. All day Wednesday I was feeling a bit under the weather which always makes me crave comfort food. Last night I went with a stroganoff casserole.


Don't scroll down...I want you to read about this dish before seeing the picture. It doesn't look that good in the picture, but believe me, it is! Jon even likes it when I make it for him.

I make this casserole with MorningStar Farms Recipe Crumbles (fake ground meat). When I make it for Jon I use real ground beef.

Ingredients
- 1 bag fake meat or 1 lb real
- 1/2 bag egg noodles (I was out so I had to use shells)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 package dry brown gravy mix mixed with 1 cup cold water (I use the meatless gravy mix)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese; I mixed cheddar and Parmesan
- 3-4 tbsp sour cream; I use light
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
- Cook noodles; set aside
- Brown meat; drain fat if you are using real meat, then add garlic, onions, and red pepper flakes
- Once the meat is cooked, turn off the heat and mix in the noodles
- Add the gravy and mix it all together
- Add the cheese, sour cream, and mix it until everything is coated. Also add salt and pepper at this point.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake on 375 for 20-25 minutes or until your casserole is bubbly.


Finally, here is the picture. It's definitely better and looks better with egg noodles. I promise, it tastes great!!!


Update: Click here to see the recipe using egg noodles and real meat

Print this post

4 comments:

  1. Hey it looks good to me! Sometimes the best comfort foods don't look the most "gourmet". :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, I bet my hubby would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish! I made something very similar the other day; I didn't add cheese, though. I WILL NEXT TIME!

    ReplyDelete